Thursday, April 16, 2009

Scrubs :)

Wellity, wellity, wellity.
I just had the honour of having my appendix removed on Monday the 6th of April 2009.
It was such an amazing experience, tht I think it would be unfair to others if I hogged it all to myself and did it again..so I wont bother doing it again. (If you didn't get it, I was being sarcastic.) *well Duuh..*
Anywaaaay, I'm going to share the horrificly graphic and vivid details of my experience in the Hospital.

It was about 1:07am on Sunday morning (it may have been 12:07am, but I got confused with the whole day-light savings thing, so just stay with me, kay?) when I awoke with horrendously agonising (I'm feeling discriptive today) pain in my lower right side. I was tossing and turning in bed, hoping to find a comfortable position, but the pain would not cease. I slowly tried to sit up, which was most difficult because my arms were shaking because of the pain, and grabbed the bucket and cloth off the floor, (I had these there because on saturday night just before I went to bed I was feeling rather sick, I wasn't sure if it was because I was tired from helping my sister and her boyfriend move hoses that day or if it was from the KFC I consumed that night.) feeling like I was going to have the Cournel grace me with his precense again. Luckily, I didn't.

I stand up, doubling over, and head to the parent's bedroom, but Mum wasn't in there, but I heard the T.V going downstairs. Who knows why she is watching T.V at 1:11am/12:11am, but I wasn't in position to ponder this.
I go into the livingroom and try and talk to Mum through a stream of gasps and tears. She tries to get me to stand and sit on the couch but I couldn't stand up from the crouched position I had on the floor. When she got me up on the couch she insisted I sit back; another thing I couldn't do, and show her where it hurts.

5 Minutes later, we are in the car heading to the Hospital.
Never have I had such an uncomfortable ride in a car. And I have been in a car drive from QLD to Melbourne, meaning 4hour trips with no restroom breaks.
Every speedbump or pot-hole was murder, but luckily seeming that no-one was out at this hour we didn't have to wait long at the traffic lights :)

We arrive at the Hospital. Mum doesn't know where to park so she parks in the drop-off lane outside of the Emergency Room. I hobble out of the car, in my PJ's and Mum's coral Crocs.
We step around and over the many puddles of blood that were all over the ground outside. Not the greatest thing for me to see seeming that I'm already feeling like I could throw up.
Mum registers me inside and we take a seat.

Wow. The people you meet around an E.R at 1:24am. Three blokes who are with their friend with a very swollen, obviously broken hand. From what I heard they got into a fight over a girl at some bar. His hand couldn't have hurt that much because he still was able to text his mates who were at the bar, telling them to come back. So they did. *sigh*
There were these people in the row infront of where we were sitting; one snakey looking guy, a girl in a stretcher-bed and the parents of the girl. From what I could gather, the girl was the snakey guy's girlfriend. My Gosh, everytime someone would be called before them, this snakey guy would swear his little-cotton socks off.
And it was great when we got called in. Mm, mm. His language is more colourful than a rainbow.

We go through to a hallway, where we meet our very sweet nurse-lady who was looking after me. She took my weight, height, age and sent me through to a little bed-place..thingy. With a chair.
I had to get out of my school-made Pj's and into this rank Hospital gown. But unlike in the cartoons, I got to wear my Undies. *phew*
After some questions and things, the Nurse wants some blood.
O_o Eeep.
Now, I have a severe fear of needles. Even though I got to have this numbing cream stuff, that the nurse kindly told me that they don't usually give to older kids, *mutters under breath* I still cried like a baby. Boy, did the nurse take the micky out of me for that!
She takes some blood and runs off with it, leaving this thing in my arm. Eww..

Later she comes back and puts an IV into my arm, telling me that the liquids will keep me Hydrated.
Ugh.
Every ten minutes I would have to scoot out to the toilet. And the IV began leaking blood and fluid. Kinda gross. It got all over my blanket. She fixed it though.
Some time later (I think it was about an hour) my nurse comes back telling me that one of the tubes of blood had clotted and they need more. So more blood she squeezes out of my arm.
She tells mum and I that I have a white cell count of 22. The normal amount is none. for those who don't know, white cells fight against infections and things..so there was definately something wrong. Mum asks if they can find out what blood type I am, long story short: they never do it for us.

I have a doctor come in to see if I am "still alive". He actually said that. he presses on the hurting area to actually see if it hurts. Sure enough, it did. *rolls eyes* I still think that test is stupid.
He said that he will get a surgeon in and see what he thinks.

That night was heck.
I think I got a total of 2hours sleep if I was lucky. I had to keep darting out to the toilet. Stupid fluids.. *shakes fist and mutters*

It was early morning (I think about 6 or 7am) before the doctor came back. He hurt me again, then left saying to the nurse; "yeah I'll go get that surgeon now." then tells me that I'm not allowed to eat or drink anything.

:O
What?!

Mum and I were only waiting, oh let's see, ALL NIGHT to see this surgeon that he hadn't even called! Grr..
Anyway, now that people were awake and moving, we turned the T.V on.
Ooh! X-men!
The surgeon comes in and examines me. talks to Mum, saying all this medical mumbo-jumbo.
When he leaves I ask Mum for a translation, she said that he was going to have me go into theater either that afternoon or the next morning. He was going to have a look around and have the appendix taken out anyway, inflamed or not inflamed.

I have a murse (man-nurse. Thanks Scrubs!) come in and give me another bag of fluids and cleans up the dried blood from the IV leaking. He was scrubbing at this "stain" on my arm that I realised was a large bruise, but I wanted to see how long it would take him to realise. After a few seconds of pain I tell him, "I think that's a bruise" He stops and laughs. I just stare on. I didn't think it was funny.

about and hour and 45 minutes pass and the murse comes back with a wheelchair, he said he's going to take me up to pediatrics.

That wheelchair ride was fun!!!! :D

We arrive at a single room with red walls and a hurge picture of Stuart Little on the wall. I get told where my private loo is and get into the big bed.
Yes, I said big.
It was luxurious compared to the one I was first in.
I meet my nurses. they were nice.

Nothing much happened through out that day.
I meet this machine that was in control of my intake of the IV fluids. The noisy thing would wake me up all the time when its time would run out. Beep. Beep. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!
I got to watch Nickelodeon all day, which was fantastic, except they showed Spectacular Spider-man for 5HOURS one day.

#Spectacular-Spectacular-spider-man#
#Uuuuuuuh uuhh uuuh Uhh uuuuuuuuh! uuuuh uuuh uuuh uuuh uuh uuuuuh!#
Thats all I would hear.

That night I stayed awake, cause we were told that they theater people would tell us if I was going into surgery that night. I was super nervous. I didn't end up going that night.

Morning arrived. Another night of barely any sleep. Could you sleep if this machine right next to your head kept going off with out end until a nurse came in and fixed it, if a nurse would come in at night needing to take your blood pressure and temperature and would fail to wake you up so you freak out when you feel this icey-cold thing goes into your ear and this band on your arm swells up so much that you think that your arm is going to fall off? If so, you need a medal.
The nurse somes in and says that I'm going to surgery and that the Anethatist will be down to answer some questions and stuff and the surgeons will be down too.
At about 8ish the people come down and take my bed that has wheels (who would've known!) and wheel me up to theater.

That was fun too. :)

In the theater waiting room, there is my sister in scrubs! She along with my Mum are doing a nursing program. Mum is in Neonates and my sister is in Theater. (she didn't help out with my surgery). Once again, I desperately need to pee. So off I go.
When I come back, there is the anethatist and another one too, her name was Astrid, but I can't remember the Guy's name. They wore cool purple coats. :)
The ask me the same questions I have been asked by various other nurses like when did I last eat and drink, what's my age, do I know what surgery i'm having, etc..
Then I had to try and take my sleepers (earrings) out and take the electric green nailpolish off my toe-nails. My sister helped out with this. Ha. It didn't want to come off.

They come back and wheel me away into surgery. I kiss Mum and Dad and take off.
Astrid commented on my hair. haha. she's just jealous of my curls.
we get the the double doors heading into theater when she asks me the same questions again! Then gets me to put a hairnetty thing on my head. In through the double doors we go.

In the surgery room I had to scoot myself onto the operating table. I had to lie down on my back and I got a super warm blanket put over me. Ahhh, it was sooo nice.
Then I felt like an alien test subject cause all of them swamped over me, putting sticky tings on me, a really weird thing that my sister said will feel like a jelly-fish (it really did!) stuck onto my leg, and soon I could hear the heart monitor going off.
My sister started laughing at how fast my heart was pumping and trying to tell me to calm down. I was just nervous..
Then They gave me a relaxer drug. My sister said "This is what it's like to be drunk."

Oh wow. It was awesome. I would look at a spot on the ceiling and my eyes would roll back into my head. They doctors put a oxygen mask on my face and said "It will smell like strawberries" I don't think I was doing a very good job at taking deep breaths for them, I was sooo happy.
My sister started laughing at me because I was smiling and giggling.
I don't remember anything after that. They put the anesthetic into my IV. That was when my sister was told to leave I'm told.

I hear my sister telling me to wake up, I'm back in the theater room. I (try to) wave at Mum and Dad, then I wake up in my red room with Stuart Little. Man, I didn't even get to say 'hello' and I was asleep again.
Once again, I woke up to voices. I don't know what they were talking about, but all I heard
when I came round was "...waxed lips." followed by laughing.
When I open my eyes, it's my eldest sister ( I have three sisters) and Mum in my room. Dad went home to relax a little.
My sister gives me a card and a happy balloon. :D Then my happiness goes away as I throw up into a bucket. Dunno what I was throwing up cause I hadn't eaten from 7:30pm Saturday night and it was 10ish Monday morning. I end up throwing up about 5times due to the anesthetic.

That night, I'm allowed to eat something!!!!!!!!

Mmm.
Nothing says delicious like a cold piece of toast with strawberry jam.

Tuesday morning arrives and I am trying to cough as much as I can without hurting myself. I thought I was coughing because I had been throwing up alot, but it turns out I had tubes down my throat! Someting they forgot to mention I'm guessing.
I'm allowed to have a shower thank goodness. But I had to sit on a funny seat thing, cause if I stood up for too long I could black out. *sigh* I've had enough of this "passing out" stuff.

After a lot of begging, I was allowed to go home on Tuesday the 7th of April 2009.
I waddled out of pediatrics with style as I carried my teddybear and my happy balloon, wearing my PJ's bottoms and a bright yellow spongebob shirt and sporting a bird's nest as a hairstyle.

We wait outside for Dad to bring the car around.

Aahh.. Fresh air. :)
Content.

Dad brings the car round and we speed off home.
yayayayayayyayayyayayayyayayayayayyayayayyayayayyayayayayayyayayayyayayyyyyyy!!



I got Hungry Jacks on the way home :) Me lucky. Me could barely eat it, but, Me lucky.

I have lost 6kilos since being in Hospital. :S I don't think I look any different but the scales beg to differ.
I did not like my experience and I shun this scar on my side but it was an experience.
And there's no more pain!!!!! :DDD


Allie :]

1 comment:

Miss Lilly said...

Harumph! I came and visited you in your room every lunchtime you were there! and i held your hair back when you chundered! All these things are important!!!!!! LOVE ME, VANILLA BEAR DAMNIT!!!

Love lil
xoxox